Thursday, March 15

These Days

"These are the days that I’ve been missing
Give me the taste give me the joy of summer wine
These are the days that bring you meaning
I feel the stillness of the sun and I feel fine "*

This morning I put Andrew on the back of my bike and we cycled to his peuterspeelzaal, or pre-school if you prefer. That's not exactly news as we have managed that task before this. It's approximately a 7 km ride from our front door to the door of his school and takes us roughly 30 minutes to complete. But this is news for the reason that it was the first time we did it without rain, or without threat of rain, or without wind. Indeed, it was a spring sky which greeted us and a spring sky which stayed along for the ride.

Spring's return means the shedding of winter coats. It took a little negotiation with Andrew to wear only his light hooded-fleece instead of his favorite red parka (also with a hood), but ultimately logic prevailed and he made the switch. For my part I was in shirtsleeves knowing that I would be generating some warmth as I cycled. See? This is news. I was in SHIRTSLEEVES. After a Dutch winter this kind of spring warmth is big news. Big good news.

When school finished at noon Andrew and I lingered at the park next door for some luxurious basking in the warm sun and cavorting on the newly green grass which wasn't swamped in rainwater.
On the ride home we watched our shadows play against the road, darting in and out of the landscape's silhouette, singing show tunes at the top of our lungs.
"These are the times of love and meaning
Ice of the heart has melted away and found the light
These are the days of endless dreaming
Troubles of life are floating away like a bird in flight"*

These are the days I have been waiting for. Welcome back Spring.



*Jamie Cullum- These are the Days

No comments:

Post a Comment