Monday, March 24

too ra loo ra loo ra

When I was a wee child Wait, no, sorry, I am not Irish--I only want to be.

When I was a young child I spent the better part of my life singing. From a very early age I was involved with a children's SING OUT group (could it be called anything else with 50 kids ages 2-12 sing/shouting classic songs while wiggling through the accompanying actions?) called SMALL WORLD ENTERTAINERS. We performed in a million venues throughout the Salt Lake City area; for nursing homes, at business conventions, in shopping malls, you name it, we sang there. Much of my musical training, or at least my song vocabulary comes out of the years of singing with that group. How else really would I know such classics as "I'm an Old Cowhand from the Rio Grande", "That's Amore" or "Winchester Cathedral"? (which I must admit, I can still belt to perfection)

Between the lyric training within that performing group and the standing around our own piano at home learning and singing songs, my repertoire is replete with songs from around the world and through the ages.

Standing out among the crowd of them, there are one or two which seem to have stuck in my very psyche. I can't name the time and place that I learned them, but I can triumphantly proclaim them as soundtrack to my very life.

Soundtrack which came through loud and clear yesterday as we drove The Ring of Kerry here in Ireland. Sight upon stunning sight unfolded as we made our way through storm and cloud break along the road circling some of the most magnificent scenery on this planet. I kid you not.


And all along the way, I kept humming to myself this anthem of Ireland:

When Irish eyes are smiling,
Sure, 'tis like the morn in Spring.
In the lilt of Irish laughter
You can hear the angels sing.
When Irish hearts are happy,
All the world seems bright and gay.
And when Irish eyes are smiling,
Sure, they steal your heart away.



Ireland has stolen my heart. There is no doubt that this place speaks to my very soul. Given the rocky road I have recently traveled in my personal life (not necessarily shared here) to travel the rocky roads of Ireland has been poetic and meaningful on the deepest level for me. Somewhere on that roundabout road yesterday, the magic in these hillsides worked into my heart and understanding reached my mind.

There's a tear in your eye,
And I'm wondering why,
For it never should be there at all.
With such pow'r in your smile,
Sure a stone you'd beguile,
So there's never a teardrop should fall.
When your sweet lilting laughter's
Like some fairy song,
And your eyes twinkle bright as can be;
You should laugh all the while
And all other times smile,
And now, smile a smile for me.

Indeed, these eyes are smiling. This has been an exquisitely beautiful weekend full of Irish blessing.

Here's wishing you the same magic.

******************************
Join all of us in celebrating the magic of music.

15 comments:

  1. @SMID and @Jenn. LMFAO. Nice exchange ladies.

    Jenn - have you stayed only in the SW or have you had a bit of time to travel much? If you can I HIGHLY suggest heading up to Donegal. Western Galway is also one of the most beautiful places on the planet. Or if you want an impressive view, try heading up from Kerry to Clare to the cliffs of Moher.

    *sigh* I so want to go back....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos -- great sentiment.

    And I too know all the words to "Winchester Cathedral" -- it was my favorite song as a wee lass. Let me know if you'd like to duet sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been to Ireland, and it's highly unlikely I'll be fortunate enough to travel there, but I've always felt as if, deep in my soul, I'm Irish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to go back to Ireland. Beautiful pictures too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Truly one of the most beautiful places on the planet. Stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, I think we need a bloggers meet-up in Western Galway!

    Jenn, I'm so glad it was a lovely break for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The magic of you is quite enough for now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm so glad you are having such an amazing time, I can't wait to hear all about it! I saw Jenn today and teased her about her blog, I can't wait to see it though! can't wait to see you tomorrow xxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahh Lassie, doncha know? There's a wee bit of the Blessed Folk in all of us!!

    And of course the green-eyed monster is raising its head in me as I read your post and see your lovely pictures!! Hope you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. don't you feel in joining us at wijvenweek.be??

    ReplyDelete
  11. Most everyone I've known that had the chance to visit Ireland has called it the same: magical.

    If you want to hear some fabulous Irish music, I'd recommend the group Cherish The Ladies. Their cd Woman of the House is high on my playlist.

    ReplyDelete