Monday, June 2

Pocket Full

So accustomed am I to the fact that Andrew's repetoire in music includes Sing by Annie Lennox, One Little Slip by Barenaked Ladies and every word to the opening number from RENT, I stopped still in my tracks yesterday as he belted out (while simultaneously swaying on a blue rocking horse) the children's song "Ring Around the Rosies" with perfect clarity.

I wasn't the only one who found it shocking. Emma said "Wow, where did he learn that? I didn't know he knew that! Did you know he knew that?" and basically took the words right out of my mouth.

Just goes to show what they learn when you're not looking.

Speaking of learning, Emma is working diligently on mastering the lyrics to this song:


And as soon as she gets her daddy to accompany on the guitar, I promise to expose them both with a video blog post right here.

Oh, yeah. I would.

SMID's Music Monday
More music links at Soccer Mom in Denial.

(Click the button. It'll take you there!)

9 comments:

  1. I love that story!!!

    Drew will have to showcase his latest songlist for me when I take him home on Wednesday. : )

    Emma and I listen to "Almost Lovers" all of the time too- its one of my favorites... so, id LOVE to be first in line to see their opening night performance.

    Signed,
    The Taylors' Biggest Fan ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. While that song is beautiful, I don't know if I'll ever be prepared to her my daughter sing it as a 12 year old. It is too achingly sad...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, SMID, I shoulda warned you... you need a pocket full of tissues over this idea. I feel I can warn you fairly over this though: Get ready. She'll grow up fast.
    And no, knowing that doesn't make it an easy reality to face.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story -- and one that's all too familiar. Will knows more "grown-up" songs than kids tunes. He was singing along to Nirvana the other day. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your daughter (and your son) have very fine taste in tunes!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm always amazed at the songs my son likes because it truly is such a mix which of course I think is great. Good story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boy, I'd love to spend a musical evening at the Taylor home!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love his eclectic tastes!

    My son is working a video project for school and is realizing how hard it is to dub singing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I can't wait to see a vid of Emma accompanied by Daddy on that! It will be so gorgeous!

    I love that Andrew knows contemporary songs (my kids, too, can sing Rent!) but you're all so shocked when he knows... *gasp*... CHILDREN'S music! hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete